"Sweet child, study the way you are feeling today. Because I love you, I ask this of you: lean into your “otherness” – learn the contours of its face, feel out the steady grip of its hand. Because I intend it to be your lifelong companion. It is a truer friend than those who surround you now. More than I want your comfort I want you to be an alien and a stranger. You are beginning to understand what that means – that not-fitting, that dissonant chord, that unease in the midst of ease that has been the faithful travel companion of the children of God for millenia. And I rejoice in the faithfulness of the God who is showing you this truth."
"How true is it that words are but vague shadows of the volumes we mean." -Theodore Dreiser-
Tuesday, July 17, 2012
#16 "Otherness"
I came across this blog from another friend's link on facebook and was touched when I read this particular post. It is a mother's letter to her teenaged child about embracing their "otherness." That as Christians, our otherness should be "cultivated and cherished" for we know that we do not belong in this world, and that we will always feel that pang of alienation while in this world, living for Christ. Here is an excerpt:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment