Saturday, December 20, 2008

Twilight: a review

So I finally saw Twilight. After being a Twilight fan for a few years now, I admit that I wasn't excited about the movie because I knew that it was never going to live up to the book (it never does). I knew there was no way that they could truly portray the development of Bella and Edward's love story with an accurate sense of danger and anticipation and yearning without it becoming a cheesy, superficial, teeny-bopper movie. I guess you gotta be inside the character's head to really understand that.

I also wasn't too keen on the actors they picked to cast the characters, especially Edward's and Rosalie's (go ahead you RPatz fans, throw tomatoes at me).

True enough, I found Kristen Stewart's and Robert Pattinson's acting to be a bit stiff and awkward in the first half of the movie. I found myself laughing and making fun of their weird facial expressions (especially Jasper's) and awkward pauses that were a bit out of place and dragged some scenes. Good thing the theater was pretty much empty during my sarcastic commentaries.

However, the last half of the movie surprised me. Although the special effects were sub par, the acting got a lot better and it redeemed the whole movie for me. And even thought there were some favorite lines that were ridiculously butchered (the lion and the lamb parts), I thought that everything else was delivered fairly well.

So overall, I rate it a 7 out of 10. The book is way better, the movie's just okay for me. I just wish that they would've emphasized Edward's ability more and they didn't even mention Jasper's. Also, Bella and Edward could use a little more chemistry.

Was I too harsh?

1 comment:

sharyl said...

i still havent read the book, and probably wouldnt see the movie until i do. anyway, merry christmas!